Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Faking Confidence and a few other things (day 33)

Painted my nails to make myself feel a little more glamorous, even if I'm just playing Xbox 360. I had unpainted ones for the whole summer. There's just something about painted nails and a little bit of make up to accent natural features that makes a girl feel little less self conscious about herself. With my new painted nails, I feel like I can rock anything.

I created a "Bucket List" for myself on the side there. These are things that I want to do in my life. The list will continue to grow. After watching the movie "Bucket List", I was inspired to make my own with things I already wanted to do (I also cried at the end of that movie). No, I'm not dying, but it's always good to have goals in life. It makes it a little more exciting.

Now is the time to be pro-active about it. Learning to swim was one of the first things on my bucket list. When I was a child, I never bothered to learn a lot of things because I was too scared to do them. So when we did school swimming events (which happened every year), all I did was hang onto the side of the pool, or find a floating device. At dry grad, they offered FREE scuba diving lessons at the pool, but I couldn't even handle putting my head under the water. That was the first wake up call. The fascination with sailboats and nautical things came somewhere in my late teens. Then about a year or two ago, the thought came to me...how am I going to enjoy sailing a boat or even just being on it without the fear of falling into the water. That was my second wake up call... Last year, I got the courage to take some adult swimming lessons with some family members who also had the same fear I had. What got me through this course was knowing I had a qualified instructor there to save my life and not to be skeptical. I kept saying to myself, and outloud: "No fear", and jumped into the next task. I was still scared, but I faked my confidence, and it helped a lot. At this time, we were going to Mexico for my brother's wedding, and all of us wanted to be able to go snorkeling without freaking out. We were glad we took those lessons. It was an amazing experience. A couple of years ago, I wouldn't be caught dead in the middle of the water. I still have a problem with endurance, and treading water for a long time. Also deep water still kind of freaks me out when I don't have a floatation device...but I am working on it :).

I have decided to take one year and do at least one thing on my bucket list, or do one thing that gets me closer it. I recently bought a voucher for an intro to sailing. I don't get a certificate but it's a start; to see if I would even like it. I'm also thinking about learning to bike next year as well. This will be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment