Monday, October 11, 2010

My kitchen smells like a Turkey carcass (day 80)

The next few days after a great big Thanksgiving dinner is where I take advantage with leftovers. Thank goodness I have the whole day today to make a turkey stock! I requested the bones from the turkey, and tonight will be one of my proud dishes, Turkey "Stieu". I start with a poultry stock from scratch that I learned in high school, and use it as a base for the stew. I don't follow the recipe exactly, I do add in a few things that I like, such as corn or a little more onions.

________________

Basic Poultry Stock

Ingredients:
·         Breast bones, neck/back, wingtips, etc
·         Cold water (enough to cover bones)
-         Mire Poix (chopped vegetables)
·         1onion
·         1 carrot
·         2 celery stalks
Bouquet Garni (herbs that season the stock – placed in a sachet for easy removal)
·         1 bay leaf
·         4 peppercorns
·         clove of garlic
·         parsley stems
·         thyme and marjoram leaves

Method:
1.       Place in large stockpot and cover with water
2.       Add “Mire Poix”
3.       Prepare “Sachet” and tie to pot handle and hang down into cold water
4.       Simmer with lid on for about 3 hours, skimming when necessary
5.       Strain and chill stock

Turkey Stew (serves 4)
Ingredients
·         2 tablespoons butter
·         2 onions, chopped
·         1 stalk celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
·         2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
·         2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
·         3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
·         3 cups chicken stock
·         1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
·         2 skinless, boneless turkey breast halves, cubed
·         1 green bell pepper, diced
 
Method:
1.     Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Place onions in the pot and cook until tender. Stir in celery and carrots, and cook until tender. Stir in the potatoes and flour. Pour in the chicken stock, and season soup with marjoram. Place turkey in the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
2.     Mix the green bell pepper into the soup, and continue cooking 10 minutes, until pepper is tender.
________________

Today also marks the day of our 7th year anniversary. C and I decided to keep it on the down-low this year due to money. Thank goodness we both got today off. Staying home and chillaxing is a wonderful pastime. With netflix, who needs to go outside, EVER AGAIN? All jokes.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, maybe I'll make this recipe with the turkey bones I have... except I don't have a stock pot - yet

    ReplyDelete